My research interests center on the Psycholinguistic investigation of Bilingualism. I am interested in examining the representation of bilinguals’ two language systems and bilingual language processing through behavioral and Neuroscience techniques, particularly event-related potentials (ERP). I am curious about the representation, comprehension, and production of L2 words by bilingual speakers. Also, I am interested in the inhibitory control mechanisms during bilingual word production.
- Post-doctoral visiting Scholar, Department of Psychology, Pennsylvania State University, from July 2012-September 2014.
- Ph.D. in Psycholinguistics, Tsinghua University, 2012
- MA in Linguistics, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (GUCAS), 2006
- B.A. in English, Shandong University, 2003
- Ma, Fengyang, Guo, Taomei, & Lin, Jie. (Under Review). The temporal pole was more engaged in processing semantics of second language.
- Kang, Chunyan, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (Under Review). Plasticity of lexical selection mechanism in bilingual word production: Evidence from ERPs.
- Fu, Yongben, Lu, Di, Kang, Chunyan, Wu, Junjie, Ma, Fengyang., Ding, Guosheng., & Guo, Taomei. (Under Review). Neural correlates for the global slowing effect of the dominant language in bilingual word production.
- Wu, Junjie, Kang, Chunyan, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (Under Review). The influence of short-term language switching training on the plasticity of lexical selection mechanism in bilingual word production.
- Ma, Fengyang, Chen, Peiyao, Guo, Taomei, & Kroll, Judith F. (In Revision). When late second language learners access the meaning of L2 words: Using ERPs to investigate the role of the L1 translation equivalent.
- Kroll, Judith F., & Ma, Fengyang. (In Press). The bilingual lexicon. In Fernández & Cairns (Eds.). Handbook of Psycholinguistics. Wiley-Blackwell publications.
- Ma, Fengyang, Li, Shengcao, & Guo, Taomei. (2016). Reactive and proactive control in bilingual word production: An investigation of influential factors. Journal of Memory and Language, 86, 35-59.
- Zhang, Haoyun, Kang, Chunyan, Wu, Yanjing, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (2015). Improving proactive control with training on language switching in bilinguals. NeuroReport, 26(6), 354-359.
- Guo, Taomei, Ma, Fengyang, & Liu, Fengqin. (2013). An ERP study of inhibition of non-target languages in trilingual word production. Brain and Language, 127(1), 12-20.
- Cui, Gang, & Ma, Fengyang. (2012). A critical review about the tree pruning hypothesis of Agrammatism. Journal of Foreign Languages, 35(6), 72-80.
- Zhang, Haoyun, Ma, Fengyang, Chen, Bingle, & Guo, Taomei. (2012). Automatic activation of Chinese during English word reading in non-proficient Chinese-English bilinguals. Foreign Language Teaching and Research, 44(5): 719-727.
- Cui, Gang, & Ma, Fengyang. (2012). The status quo and principles of University English teaching. China University Teaching, 2, 33-38.
Cui, Gang, & Ma, Fengyang. (2012). A critical review of sonority related phonological theories in aphasics. Journal of Xi’an International Studies University, 20(1): 34-37.
- Ma, Fengyang, Huang, Wenhong, & Wang, Chengjun (Eds.). (2010). All-Star English Student Book 3 (ISBN: 0-07-284679-8). Beijing: Higher Education Press.
- Ma, Fengyang & Guo, Jian. (2006). Dazhaimen zhong Yang Jiuhong de Chenmo de Shunyinxing Yanjiu [Yang Jiuhong’s silence in TV show “The Grand Mansion Gate”: Analysis based on the Adaptation Theory]. Journal of Lanzhou University (Social Sciences), 33, 57-60.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2004). Kongdongyu ji Yingwen Zhaiyao zhi Guifan [Empty Language and Standards of English Abstracts in Academic Papers: A corpus-based study]. In Sun, Y. (Ed.), 2004 Anthology of Translatological Dictionary and Translation Theory Studies (pp. 438-443). Tianjin: Tianjin Education Press.
- Ma, Fengyang., Li, Shengcao., & Guo, Taomei. (2016). The dynamic nature of reactive and proactive control in bilingual word production. American Association for Applied Linguistics 2016 Conference in Orlando, Florida. April 9-12.
- Ai, Haiyang & Ma, Fengyang (2016). Creating a 10-million-word English-Chinese parallel corpus. The American Association for Applied Linguistics 2016 Conference (AAAL-16). Orlando, FL. April 9-12.
- Zhang, Haoyun, Kang, Chunyan, Wu, Yanjing, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (2015). Improving proactive control with training on language switching in bilinguals. The 10th International Symposium of Bilingualism. New Brunswick, NJ. May 20-24th.
- Ma, Fengyang, Kroll, Judith. F., Guo, Taomei, & Chen, Peiyao. (2014). Accessing meaning of L2 words in beginning and advanced learners: An electrophysiological and behavioral investigation. The Cognitive Neuroscience Society Annual Meeting 2014. Boston, MA. April 5th-8th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2011). Development of Cross-language Lexical Links in Chinese EFL Learners. The First Conference on Psycholinguistics in China. Guangzhou, Guangdong December 17th-18th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2011). Lexical Selection in BilingualWord Production. Keynote talk given at 2011 Academic Forum in Beijing Foreign Studies University. Beijing. May 14th.
- Ai, Haiyang & Ma, Fengyang (2011). Metonymic and metaphoric extensions of tou ‘head’ in Mandarin Chinese: A corpus-based study. Paper presented at Alabama Symposium on Exploring the Boundaries and Applications of Corpus Linguistics. Tuscaloosa, AL. April 15th-17th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2010). The semantic representation in Chinese-English bilingual mental lexicon. Paper presented at the 232th Tsinghua Forum for Doctoral Candidates. Tsinghua University, Beijing. April 3rd-4th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2008). Syntatic representation in bilinguals: Evidence from syntactic priming. Paper presented at the 195th Tsinghua Forum for Doctoral Candidates. Tsinghua University, Beijing. November 14th-16th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2005). Interpretation of Silence in TV Interviews in the Framework of Adaptive Theory. Paper presented at the 9th National Conference on Pragmatics. Fudan University, Shanghai: July 26th-28th.
- Behavioral: E-Prime
- Neurophysiological: ERP (NeuroScan & EGI)
- Programming Statistics: R, SPSS
- Teaching First and Second Language Acquisition, Fall semester 2015, at University of Cincinnati.
- Teaching Methods of Teaching ESL (English as a Second Language), Fall semester 2015, at University of Cincinnati.
- Offering multiple workshops on E-prime, NeuroScan and EGI data collection from summer 2012 to summer 2015, at Penn State University.
- Teaching “Comprehensive English” to English majors (international students, mostly Korean), Febrary 2009 to July 2010 (highly rated by students), at Tsinghua University.
- Teaching a course in English reading and writing to non English majors from August 2008 to Febrary 2010, at Tsinghua University.
- Teaching a course in English listening and speaking to non English majors from September 2007 to July 2008, at Tsinghua University.
- Teaching a course in English four skills to master students of natural sciences from 2003 to 2006, at GUCAS.
- Part-time Teacher. I have taught English speaking and listening to advanced learners since March 2011, at New Oriental.
- Technical Assistant. (2009). 36th International Systemic Functional Congress. Tsinghua University, Beijng: July.
Awards & Scholarships
- Guanghua Scholarship, Tsinghua University, 2008.
- Merit Student Award, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences,2006.
- Second-class Scholarship (annually), Shandong University, 1999-2003.
- Native: Mandarin Chinese, Shandong Dialect
- Near native: English
- Intermediate: Japanese, Sichuan Dialect