My research interests center on the Psycholinguistic investigations of Bilingualism. I am interested in examining the representation of bilinguals’ two language systems and bilingual language processing through behavioral and Neuroscience techniques, particularly event-related potentials (ERP). I am curious about the representation, comprehension, and production of L2 words by bilingual speakers. Also, I am interested in the inhibitory control mechanisms during bilingual word production.
- Post-doctoral visiting Scholar, Department of Psychology, Pennsylvania State University, from July 2012-September 2014.
- Ph.D. in Psycholinguistics, Tsinghua University, 2012
- MA in Linguistics, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (GUCAS), 2006
- B.A. in English, Shandong University, 2003
- Fu, Yongben, Lu, Di, Kang, Chunyan, Wu, Junjie, Ma, Fengyang., Ding, Guosheng., & Guo, Taomei. (Under Review). Neural correlates for the global slowing effect of the dominant language in bilingual word production.
- Ma, Fengyang & Ai, Haiyang. (In Revision). Chinese learners of English see Chinese words when reading English words. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research.
- Ma, Fengyang, Ai, Haiyang, & Guo, Taomei. (Forthcoming). Semantic and lexical processing of words across two languages in Chinese-English bilinguals. In H. Pae (Ed). Reading Processes of East-Asian Scripts and Cross-Linguistic Influence: Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. John Benjamins.
- Wu, Junjie, Kang, Chunyan, Ma, Fengyang, Gao, Xiaoyi, & Guo, Taomei. (Forthcoming). The influence of short-term language switching training on the plasticity of lexical selection mechanism in bilingual word production. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology.
- Kang, Chunyan, Fu, Yongben., Wu, Junjie, Ma, Fengyang, Lu, Chunming & Guo, Taomei. (2017). Short-term language switching training modulates the engagement of the cognitive control areas in bilingual word production. Human Brain Mapping.
- Kroll, J. F., & Ma, Fengyang. (2017). The bilingual lexicon. In E. M. Fernández, & H. S. Cairns (Eds.). Handbook of Psycholinguistics (pp. 294-319). Wiley-Blackwell publications.
- Kang, Chunyan, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (2017). The plasticity of lexical selection mechanism in word production: ERP evidence from short-term language switching training in unbalanced Chinese-English bilinguals. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 19, 1-18.
- Ma, Fengyang, Chen, Peiyao, Guo, Taomei, & Kroll, Judith F. (2017). When late second language learners access the meaning of L2 words: Using ERPs to investigate the role of the L1 translation equivalent. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 41, 50-69.
- Ma, Fengyang, Li, Shengcao, & Guo, Taomei. (2016). Reactive and proactive control in bilingual word production: An investigation of influential factors. Journal of Memory and Language, 86, 35-59.
- Zhang, Haoyun, Kang, Chunyan, Wu, Yanjing, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (2015). Improving proactive control with training on language switching in bilinguals. NeuroReport, 26(6), 354-359.
- Guo, Taomei, Ma, Fengyang, & Liu, Fengqin. (2013). An ERP study of inhibition of non-target languages in trilingual word production. Brain and Language, 127(1), 12-20.
- Cui, Gang, & Ma, Fengyang. (2012). A critical review about the tree pruning hypothesis of Agrammatism. Journal of Foreign Languages, 35(6), 72-80.
- Zhang, Haoyun, Ma, Fengyang, Chen, Bingle, & Guo, Taomei. (2012). Automatic activation of Chinese during English word reading in non-proficient Chinese-English bilinguals. Foreign Language Teaching and Research, 44(5): 719-727.
- Cui, Gang, & Ma, Fengyang. (2012). The status quo and principles of University English teaching. China University Teaching, 2, 33-38.
Cui, Gang, & Ma, Fengyang. (2012). A critical review of sonority related phonological theories in aphasics. Journal of Xi’an International Studies University, 20(1): 34-37.
- Ma, F., Ai, H., Xiao, T., & Guo, T. (2017). Juggling non-linguistic and linguistic cues when listening to words in a second language. Second Language Research Forum 2017 in Columbus, Ohio. October 12-15.
- Ai, H. & Ma, F. (2017). A corpus-based dynamic approach to providing corrective feedback in L2 writing. Second Language Research Forum 2017 in Columbus, Ohio. October 12-15.
- Ma, Fengyang., Li, Shengcao., & Guo, Taomei. (2016). The dynamic nature of reactive and proactive control in bilingual word production. American Association for Applied Linguistics 2016 Conference in Orlando, Florida. April 9-12.
- Ai, Haiyang & Ma, Fengyang (2016). Creating a 10-million-word English-Chinese parallel corpus. The American Association for Applied Linguistics 2016 Conference (AAAL-16). Orlando, FL. April 9-12.
- Zhang, Haoyun, Kang, Chunyan, Wu, Yanjing, Ma, Fengyang, & Guo, Taomei. (2015). Improving proactive control with training on language switching in bilinguals. The 10th International Symposium of Bilingualism. New Brunswick, NJ. May 20-24th.
- Ma, Fengyang, Kroll, Judith. F., Guo, Taomei, & Chen, Peiyao. (2014). Accessing meaning of L2 words in beginning and advanced learners: An electrophysiological and behavioral investigation. The Cognitive Neuroscience Society Annual Meeting 2014. Boston, MA. April 5th-8th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2011). Development of Cross-language Lexical Links in Chinese EFL Learners. The First Conference on Psycholinguistics in China. Guangzhou, Guangdong December 17th-18th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2011). Lexical Selection in BilingualWord Production. Keynote talk given at 2011 Academic Forum in Beijing Foreign Studies University. Beijing. May 14th.
- Ai, Haiyang & Ma, Fengyang (2011). Metonymic and metaphoric extensions of tou ‘head’ in Mandarin Chinese: A corpus-based study. Paper presented at Alabama Symposium on Exploring the Boundaries and Applications of Corpus Linguistics. Tuscaloosa, AL. April 15th-17th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2010). The semantic representation in Chinese-English bilingual mental lexicon. Paper presented at the 232th Tsinghua Forum for Doctoral Candidates. Tsinghua University, Beijing. April 3rd-4th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2008). Syntatic representation in bilinguals: Evidence from syntactic priming. Paper presented at the 195th Tsinghua Forum for Doctoral Candidates. Tsinghua University, Beijing. November 14th-16th.
- Ma, Fengyang. (2005). Interpretation of Silence in TV Interviews in the Framework of Adaptive Theory. Paper presented at the 9th National Conference on Pragmatics. Fudan University, Shanghai: July 26th-28th.
- Behavioral: E-Prime
- Neurophysiological: ERP (NeuroScan & EGI)
- Programming Statistics: R, SPSS
- Assistant Professor. Center for English as a Second Language, School of Education, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, USA.
- ESL7069 Success in Graduate Academic Writing for International Students (2 sessions)
- ESL1070 Introduction to English Composition for International Students
- ESL2089 Intermediate Composition for International Students
- Visiting Assistant Profesor. Literacy and Second Language Studies & Center for English as a Second Language, School of Education, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, USA.
- ESL7070 Research Writing for International Students
- ESL7069 Success in Graduate Academic Writing for International Students
- LSLS9064 Advanced Seminar in Second Language Studies (Psycholinguistics: Language Processing in Bilinguals)
- LSLS7064 Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language (2 sessions)
- LSLS7053 First and Second Language Learning
- ESL2089 Intermediate Composition for International Students
- Post-doctoral Research Assistant. Social, Life, And Engineering Sciences Imaging Center & Center for Language Science, Pennsylvania State University, State College, USA.
- Workshop on E-prime Experiment Design
- Training Sessions on event-related potential (ERP) Data Collection with the EGI system
- Training Sessions on ERP Data Collection with the NeuroScan system
- Graduate Instructor. Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- Comprehensive English for English majors (2 sessions)
- English Listening and Speaking for Non-English majors (3 sessions)
- Technical Assistant. (2009). 36th International Systemic Functional Congress. Tsinghua University, Beijng: July.
Awards & Scholarships
- Guanghua Scholarship, Tsinghua University, 2008.
- Merit Student Award, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences,2006.
- Second-class Scholarship (annually), Shandong University, 1999-2003.
- Native: Mandarin Chinese, Shandong Dialect
- Near native: English
- Intermediate: Japanese, Sichuan Dialect